Mission and Objectives
Broadcast Networks Europe aims to:
- Provide a forum for information exchange and cooperation on topics of common interest between Members to ensure that the economics of supply by the Broadcast Network Operators sector remains attractive to the market over time.
- Sustain and nurture the long term market opportunity for the distribution of content and data via terrestrial broadcast networks by:
- optimising terrestrial platform developments (and realize European-wide economies of scale)
- ensuring availability of maximum spectrum for current and future developments of platforms.
- Represent the commercial interests of Terrestrial Broadcast Network Operators with regards to policy developments and regulatory intervention by European Institutions.
To fulfill its mission, Broadcast Networks Europe:
- Monitors developments in relevant areas, such as regulation and standardisation, as well as activities at the European and international level;
- Co-ordinates the views and interests of its members;
- Represents its members vis à vis the appropriate policy making bodies;
- Develops agreed policy positions and responds to consultations;
- Carries out specific assignments in working groups and task forces;
- Publishes reflections, recommendations, studies and reports (including facts and figures on the terrestrial broadcasting market and related information);
- Hosts events to foster discussion and knowledge sharing on issues of relevance to its members.
Broadcast Networks Europe is an international non-profit making association registered in Brussels. It is governed by a set of rules set forth in the Articles of the Association, and its governance model is outlined in this document:
The General Assembly is the governing body of the Association. It represents all Full Members and meets once a year. It considers and if appropriate approves the reports and recommendations of the Board of Directors.
It is responsible for approving the policy, strategy and activities of the Association and related budget.
The Chairman of the Board of Directors also chairs the meetings of the General Assembly, and presents to it its annual report.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors consists of Board Members, elected for a term of two years (each company appoints a permanent representative to the Board of Directors). It includes a Chairman, a Vice Chairman and a Treasurer.
The Board of Directors holds meetings at least twice a year and is mainly responsible for:
- Preparing and implementing the Association’s work programme;
- Organizing the Association’s activities by setting up working groups or dedicated tasks-forces;
- Approving Association’s reports, recommendations, requests and opinions;
- Preparing and presenting budget proposals and financial accounts to the General Assembly;
- Representing the Association based on the decisions taken by the General Assembly.
Memberships and Collaborations
BNE works closely with the following organisations through collaboration or membership:
- ETSI – European Telecommunications Standards Institute
- ITU – International Telecommunications Union
- ECC – European Communications Council
- DVB – Digital Video Broadcasting Standardisation Body
- WSG – Wider Spectrum Group
The Wider Spectrum Group brings together several organisations representing civil society as well as employee and employer representatives. Together these organisations represent the interests of listeners and viewers, workers and businesses in the field of audiovisual, radio, programme making and special events. WSG members share a common view on the need to ensure European and national policies regarding frequency allocation preserves the potential for European growth, innovation and sustainable employment.
Chairman : Olivier Huart
Vice-Chairman : John Canavan, Arqiva
Secretary General: Lars Backlund, Teracom AB
Head of the Technical Development Working Group: Simon Mason, Arqiva
Head of the Communications Working Group: Jean-Pierre Faisan, TDF
Head of the Policy Working Group : Josep Ventosa, Cellnex Telecom
Digital Team Manager : Jaume Pujol, Cellnex Telecom